The Old Union School survives as an example of the early history of the once thriving community of Birdell.

Located approximately two miles northwest of the community of Birdell, the school is a wonderfully preserved example of what early education looked like in rural Arkansas.

The early settlers of the Birdell Community constructed a school out logs originally of which was a common building technique in early Arkansas. The original school was believed to be built sometime prior to the Civil War.

This original log constructed school burned in 1910, classes were held in the nearby residence of Mattie Maxwell until the new schoolhouse could be built on the same site, the current Old Union School was finished in 1913.

The new schoolhouse reflected improved sawmilling of the time with 2″ x 4″ lumber covered by weather board.

Old Union School held classes through the eighth grade for the area’s school children.

The building was primarily used as a school but also served other community functions including hosting a temporary church where funerals were also held. The Old Union Cemetery sits next to the building.

In 1941, the Old Union School school closed as it was consolidated into the Sloan Hendrix School District at Imboden.

But the building’s story doesn’t stop there, after the closing, it accommodated Extension Service meetings, occasional club meetings, birthday parties and school reunions.

In 1991, the building was rehabilitated in a community effort to preserve the schoolhouse.

The Old Union School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1993, and is now used as a community building.

One of the most peaceful places in our area to visit!