- Irish boxty are a traditional Irish potato pancake. They are a soft on the inside, crisp on the outside potato pancake.
- Several tablespoonsÂ butter to fry your cakes in.
- 2 cupsÂ cold mashed potatoes ( you can even use pre-made instant potatoes)
- 1Â egg
- Approximately 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Teaspoon of onion powder
- a dash of buttermilk or milk if mixture is to dry can be added
- optional ingredients: green onion , cheese, sautÃ©ed onion, roasted garlic, cooked bacon.
When ready to cook, preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt.
Mix mashed potatoes, egg, and flour to form a â€œbatterâ€ that is thick, not creamy, and â€œmounds.â€ Add salt and pepper to taste and any optional ingredients as desired.
The amount of flour needed is going to be dependent on how creamy and how rich the original mashed potatoes are â€“ the more butter, cheese, etc. in the original mashed potatoes, the more flour needed.
To cook, pick up about a quarter of the batter in one hand and form into a patty.
Add to the hot pan; brown very slowly in the hot butter, turning once. Best if eaten at once. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a few chopped green onions.