Sloan-Hendrix PTE MeetingÂ Â Â Minutes for October 21, 2013
The meeting wasÂ called to order by President, Amanda Stallings at 6:00pm.
- Treasure, Terri Smith read the Pom Pom Expense and Profit Report, New Welcome Kit Expense Report, andÂ Middle School Landscape Expense Report
- Terri Smith made a motion to repay Amanda Stallings $131.03 for landscape expenses, Bobbi DuncanÂ Â seconded.
- Outdoor Classroom Project
- Amanda Stallings has asked several people at Sloan-Hendrix to be onÂ Â the Funding Committee.Â Â These people include:Â Mitch Walton, Deanna Adams, Becky Foremen,Â Â and Terri Smith. Deanna Adams has possibly recruited Hayden Morrison.
- Deanna Adams attendedÂ Â a workshop through the Arkansas Game and Fish for an up to $5,000 Grant.
- The firstÂ Â step in this grant would be to know where the land boundaries are.
- Candi Yarbro mentionedÂ Â another grant. The grant needed to know what kind of habitat the schoolÂ Â would be interested in.
- Amanda StallingsÂ Â as created a survey for the teachers with Mitch Waltonâ€™s permission this will go out soon.
- To be eligibleÂ Â for the Farm Bureau grant a Farm Bureau board member, Agricultural TeacherÂ Â and a conservationist need to be on a Site Development Committee.Â Â Â Joe Wallis has been asked to be on this committee.
- Amanda StallingsÂ Â also wanted to make the PTEâ€™s part in the outdoor classroom very clear. The PTE can help with donations,Â Â volunteers, and use our non-profit status to get grants. The PTE willÂ Â not be the leader on this project. The school needs to be.
- Â A motionÂ Â was made by Amanda Stallings for Article 1 in the bi-laws to be as followed
TheÂ name of this organization shall be the Sloan-Hendrix Parents and TeachersÂ for Education (SH PTE). The motion was seconded by April Rainwater.
- MiddleÂ Â School Landscape Project
- The school has thanked the PTE tremendously for the new landscapeÂ Â Â Â in front of the Middle School Building.
- Landscape work days, Sept. 18th, Sept. 23th, Sept. 30th, Oct. 7th, Oct. 14th, Oct. 21st, Oct. 22nd
- Amanda Stallings picked up the mulch from Mill Creek Gardens, andÂ Â Â Â the shrubs from Lowes. In the wait for the landscape timbers, AmandaÂ Â Â Â Stallings used hers from home.
- We had enough supplies to landscape the side of the building as well.
- The PTE would like to thank students that helped, Girl Scout Skylia Lester 4 hours ofÂ Â Â Â service, Hunter Stallings 4 hours of service, Girl Scout Adra Scales 2.25 hours of service and Jake Stallings for his 10 minutes of service.
- The PTE would also like to thank the teachers at Sloan-Hendrix PublicÂ Â Â Â Schools for helping; Amanda Stallings 10 hours of service, Kathy Harpole 3.5 hours of service, Stacy Wilson 2 hours of service, Bobbi DuncanÂ Â Â Â 1.5 hours of service, and Janna Powell 1.25 hours of service.
- The PTE would also like to thank parents/grandparents Kathy and Dennis Lester for their 2 hours of service, Ada Stallings for her 1 hour of serviceÂ Â Â Â and Kristie Stallings for her 10 minutes of service.
- PomÂ Â Poms
- TheÂ Â Â Â PTE poms poms went over well. Amanda Stallings and her 7th grade class separated the pom poms that were preordered.
- AprilÂ Â Â Â Rainwater delivered them to the classrooms on Oct 17th.
- 5Â Â Â Â volunteers sold pom poms at the Black and Gold games Oct 17th. BobbiÂ Â Â Â Duncan, Kathy Harpole, Jennifer Grisham, Jennifer Dail, and Lisa Hill.
- 3Â Â volunteers collected cans at the Black and Gold games Oct 17th, Candi Yarbro, BeckyÂ Â Foremen, and Amanda Stallings. 188 cans were collected by the community.Â Â Thank you.
- MelanieÂ Â Stephens agreed to help sell the pom poms at the Maynard basketballÂ Â game on Oct 21.
- CannedÂ Â Food Drive
- 188Â Â can were collected from the community
- TheÂ Â PTE would like to thank anyone who donated a canned food, the Sloan-HendrixÂ Â Cafeteria for saving boxes, and Mr. Keough for the use of his room, and setting up tables and chairs for the pom pom sale and canned food drive.
- CannedÂ Â food will be given to the Methodist Church after the school does the canned food collection in November.
- NewÂ Â Student Welcome Kits
- TammyÂ Â Bradley, Parent Center Coordinator made copies of several papers needÂ Â for the Welcome Kits.
- MelanieÂ Â Stephenâ€™s GT Students stuffed the New Student Welcome Kits and delivered themÂ Â to the classrooms.
- ThankÂ Â you Mrs. Stephenâ€™s and GT Students for all of you hard work.
- Amanda Stallings e-mailed Greg Scheideman at Signature Fundraising to be a guest speaker at the November meeting.Â Â He was unable to make it, but intended on sending someone in his place.
6.Â KindergartenÂ Playground
- Mrs. Adams has proposed that the PTE pay for half of a carport toÂ Â put in the Kindergarten area.
- The PTE decided we need more information from the Kindergarten teachers.Â Â For example, Mr. Waltonâ€™s approval, where the carport is coming from and a price.
- The PTE decided that when we were given a price we would vote to donateÂ Â the money, but not be responsible for getting price, Mr. Waltonâ€™s approval,Â Â or the construction of the carport.
7. ElementaryÂ Trees
- There is a need for shade on the elementary playground.
- Amanda Stallings sent an e-mail to the elementary teachers askingÂ Â if they wanted a tree.
- The grades will be responsible for getting the tree at Lowes, gettingÂ Â with Mr. Keough for the best place to plant, care, and maintenance.
- Lowes has a 1 year guarantee on all of their plants.
- The 4th grade, 3rd grade, 2nd grade, and 1st grade confirmed they wanted a tree.
- A motion was made by Amanda Stallings to donate $25 for each gradeÂ Â wanting a tree and seconded by Kathy Lester.
8. Parent Involvement
- Flyers went out to the parents on Parent-Teacher Conference night.
- Thank you to all the teachers who took time to explain the PTE.
9. Coat Drive
- The PTE decided to wait to see if the school in is need a coats beforeÂ Â having a coat drive.
10. Fundraisers Mentioned
- Amanda Stallings started designing Christmas ornaments.
- Luricka Anderson took information on a Family Movie Night home to do more research.
Meeting adjourned 6:20pm
After the business portion of the meeting, Tammy Bradley and AprilÂ Rainwater taught the PTE members how to make paper poppies. SeveralÂ poppies were made. The paper poppies are for Mrs. Deshazoâ€™s Veteranâ€™sÂ Day Program on November 11, 2013. The PTE would like to thank everyoneÂ who took time to help.
Next Meeting;Â Nov.18st, 2013 in Sloan-Hendrix Library at 6pm